How to Lead a Charmed Life

Sunday, November 27, 2005

The Battle of The No-No's

We buy brightly colored toys that make music and have blinking lights for our little ones to play with. We even encourage them in this endeavor. Then we go and put up brightly colored toys that make music and have blinking lights for Christmas. And we tell our little ones No-No whenever they try to touch them.

In our house we have a three strikes rule. If Mom or Dad has to say No-No three times for the same offense it's instant time in baby jail...the Pen! The Play Pen that is. And afterwards, most of the time anyway, she comes out a completely rehabilitated perfect little angel. At least for five minutes or so.

Well, the Christmas decorations proved to be far too great of a temptation. After two trips up the river, she was released. My heart fell as she headed straight for the offending decoration immediately upon release. This time was different however. She looked at the Santa sitting there so temptingly, then back at me. She pointed at Santa and said "No-no-no-no-no" and moved on to her little box of toys we keep in the family room.

I was so proud. I often wonder if the things I try are really effective. This to me proved that while I hate punishing her, the lessons are being learned. I am on my way to raising responsible children. I work hard at it and second guess myself constantly. It's reassuring to see the effects of my labor in action.

Posted by Andrea :: 10:53 AM :: 0 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------