How to Lead a Charmed Life

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

My Children make me Young

They make me young because I have to pretend I am young in order to keep up with them. They, in so many ways are my heros. My oldest is going in today to possibly have braces put on. It's hard to believe that my baby girl is old enough to have braces and yet the evidence is right there. She is at a very difficult age. At least difficult for me to deal with. She isn't exactly a child anymore for the most part and yet she is. She's not quite a teen but lives in a world that pushes children to look and act like little adults. It's sad to watch. I am sad for the missed youth. For the time that is not spent climbing trees and hanging out in playhouses. I'm sad that she will miss out on some of the very things that have had such a profound effect on me as an adult because she is too busy trying to act like a grown up. She's forgotten how to have fun. So I will use her little brother and sister as well as me, to try to remind her that even if she thinks she has to look cool and grown up around her friends, it really is okay to be a kid and act silly sometimes. It's okay to play hop scotch and to dress barbie a thousand different ways, it's okay to paint with your fingers and walk barefoot in the rain. It really is okay to wear your PJs till noon on Saturday and on very rare special occassions it is perfectly acceptable to eat ice cream straight from the carton.

If I can pass any message on to my children, I hope it is that you are never too old to be young.

Posted by Andrea :: 9:20 AM :: 0 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------