How to Lead a Charmed Life

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Why is country music so depressing?

I am serious, I wonder how many accidents are caused each year by someone randomly switching to a country station and suddenly, desparately seeking a box of tissue? It's amazing. It's really bad when I'm driving through unfamiliar territory where I have to search for stations and I will hit one and for some unknown reason I'm compelled to listen to this song about a child trying to buy shoes for his dieing mom, then I'm pulling off to the side of the road blubbering like an idiot and searching for the tissues which are always underneath the drivers seat for some unknown reason, guess that's where I inevetably toss them when I am finished. At any rate this song is touted as a Christmas song and I'm sorry it's the most depressing piece of Christmas music I've ever heard.

I've always believed and still do that music has a profound effect on a persons psyche. I know for me it can enhance a good mood or create a false anger or joy in me by listening to the right combination of music. At the same time it can trigger bouts of minor depression if I'm listening to the wrong music, or the wrong music at the wrong time. It's sad with all the ratings on music for content, violence and such, should we put warning labels for depression? I honestly wonder how many people that are diagnosed clincally depressed listen to country music on a regular basis? It's really something to think about at any rate.

I'm off to prepare for a Christmas party where I hope this song doesn't get played. BTW my pick for the holidays is Trans-Siberian Orchestra. If you haven't heard them you really should. They are perfect for some of us 'old timers' a good combination of symphonic rock along with Christmas music. I completely enjoy their music and if you can get to one of their shows you really should. It's so much better in person.

Posted by Andrea :: 9:33 AM :: 0 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------